This is real life!!

Commentary on random thoughts and actions

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Life and Death

The first of June was a very sad day for all fans of Rocio Jurado. Beloved by millions of Spanish speakers around the world “la mas grande de Espana” (Spain’s greatest) died of pancreatic cancer at the age of 61.



My mother is absolutely devastated – and I am baffled – I never knew how much she felt for this woman, whose name I have heard for years, but who meant nothing to me. All I can relate it to, is how I felt when I heard of Diana Princess of Wales’ death – it’s not so much the death of the person, but everything that person represents in your life, your children, your parents, events in your life. To me Diana’s death, was about her two boys (I have two boys) left motherless - about her failed marriage (mine too) - about her relationship with her family and friends and about her coping with just living, just sorting out her life and suddenly just dying. Women around the world felt a special kinship with her, regardless of whether or not they had ever met her.

My mum’s feelings about Rocio Jurado relate to her own feelings towards her mother (we called her big Yaya), who sadly died just over two years ago.


My grandmother was quite a demanding character and lived with my parents for at least 10 years at the end of her life, she was 92 years old when she died and had a reasonably good life, although to hear her talk, her life was one of unbearable suffering. My mum still finds it hard to come to terms with her death.

I don't think I was really as sympathetic as I could have been, I just fobbed her off by saying 'well who the hell is she?' and my brother London Cabby sort of gave a little chuckle as if to say 'well I don't know who the hell she is either!!' My Mum got really upset and started to cry, which prompted my brother to give her a big hug, which made her cry more, which meant I had to join in the group hug - which eventually made her feel better.

Rocio Jurado’s mother also died of pancreatic cancer in her early fifties and Rocio regularly dedicated songs to the memory of her mother, passionate and sad songs, which moved her listeners to tears and reminded people of their loved ones. Her life has been an open book to readers of ‘Hola’ and similar publications and her fans have suffered and rejoiced with her - during bad times, such as the death of her mother, her divorces – during good times, the birth of her children and grandchildren. She is greatly mourned by the whole of Spain.



I thought I would add this picture of a gate, just to finish off this blog.

God Bless you. Jo xx

1 Comments:

At 10:41 pm, Blogger ang said...

Hi Jo - Sorry I haven't been around, but as I have just seen the photo of Rocio Jurado I felt obliged to transmit the overwhelming despair the people of Spain feel for the loss of Rocio. As you said it was like losing Diana. She was "the greatest" here and we lived her illness and frequent trips to the clinic in Houston where she was being treated for her cancer. The last time we saw her she was nothing like the Rocio we all remembered full of courage and fighting spirit. I think mum feels sad because Rocio was part of her youth and around the same age as her, seeing her go probably makes mum feel that her own death is a little nearer. Although I am not and never have been a Rocio fan I shed a tear at the news of her death because Spain in its entirety was grieving and it was indeed a very sad occasion. Rocio had adopted 2 children when she remarried to Ortega Cano (a well-known bullfighter) and those children are now without their mother. Sometimes the world is a trifle unjust.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>