This is real life!!

Commentary on random thoughts and actions

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

This life

I have not really been much in the mood for blogging - I have a stinking cold, it has just started raining and yesterday I very cleverly put £20 of unleaded petrol in my diesel car and drove down the road wondering why the hell it was so sluggish. This is what comes from rushing - More haste, less speed - I have never quite understood this saying, since both words imply hurrying??

I hurried to get home from my boyfriend's house, I hurried to get money out of the cash point at the petrol station, I parked my car a little too far from the pump and had to really stretch the hose to reach my car, I wondered why I had two choices of petrol, premium unleaded and unleaded (I only ever previously had one choice). I did not however register that I was placing a green hose into my car instead of the black (diesel) hose. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!!

I have left my car parked up until, Wednesday (my day off), when I will call the AA and ask them to tow me to my garage, where hopefully they can sort out the problem.

On a brighter note, my weekend in Bruges with my friends was relaxing and Bruges is delightful!! We stayed in some apartments called Bauhaus about 10 minute walk from the centre - the boys stayed in one apartment (6 boys/men) and the girls/women (two of us) stayed in a smaller apartment next door. They were the IKEA flats, everything was from the Swedish shop we know and sometimes have a love/hate relationship with - nice and clean, with his and hers bathroom sinks and one very small shower.



This is the view from my bedroom window - I don't know what that building is - maybe a Church?

There are canals and loads of picturesque houses all around, here's a couple of pics, just to give you a flavour of the place.





A rear view of some of my travelling companions




A not very good picture of a lace shop, typical of this area




My friend Dave and I spent several hours sitting in a canalside cafe/bar, people watching - that is to say bitching. The challenge was to find at least one good looking male and one good looking female - believe me it was tough going - that is until we both spotted the same guy at once and a synchronised oooh left our lips at the same time!!

We had wonderful capuccinos that were like a meal, they came with:

A separate pot of whipped cream (Slag in Flemish?)

A delicate biscuit

A delicious Belgian chocolate

Extra pots of cream

Loads of Sugar Sachets

I did eat loads over the two days.

Belgian bread with several types of Belgian Cheese, Gouda, some really smelly(but tasty) cheese, cheese with mustard seeds and different Belgian sausages - don't ask me what they are called, I just eat the food, I don't analyse it.

Flemish Beef Stew (with a gorgeous sauce)
Fillet Steak in a wonderful Pepper and Whisky sauce with Frites (chips)
Frites with Mayonaise Hot Waffles with chocolate sauce

My friend Arthur was a bit more adventurous and ate Curried Mussels, sounds vile, but apparently taste quite delicious, I was going to take a picture, but unfortunately my camera battery decided to die at that moment. One of my other friends took a picture so I might be able to post a photo at a later date.

This post is dragging on a bit, but I just wanted to tell you about something, which happened yesterday at work. All our Year 11 students were dismissed for study leave at 2.30pm - at around 3.30pm they went on the rampage with eggs and flour. Normally I would just laugh it off, but one of my staff was hurt by a flying egg, which hurtled through the door of the library and smashed into the side of her face. Initially, when she told me what had happened I tried to stifle a giggle, especially when she kept calling the egg a 'heg'(she is italian). She was so upset that I felt guilty that I had laughed and I have phoned her a couple of times today to find out how she is(my guilt is choking me).

It's one of my little brother's birthday today, he is thirty something I think?? Or is it the big 40?? Anyhow, Happy Birthday to you Joe.

Love and Kisses Jo xx

2 Comments:

At 2:24 am, Blogger Truckmann said...

He's 38

 
At 4:20 pm, Blogger ang said...

Why oh why is it that everytime I read your posts I lick my lips and feel really guilty at the same time - it's so unfair that all the most delicious foods are so full of calories. I wonder whose idea that was - hehehe!
Hope your car's up and running well, Miquel was so impressed by the fact that it only cost you 100 quid! Remember?
Love Ang xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>