This is real life!!

Commentary on random thoughts and actions

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

So much time, so little to do - or is it...

I haven't written my blog for the past couple of days as I have been very busy reading - what you say - when your house is in a mess!! Well I say 'yes' I jolly well will read my books.

I have read Chinua Achebe's short book called 'Things fall apart', it was something I have wanted to read for a while - a short book just over one hundred pages long, but gripping nonetheless. It tells about a tribe in Nigeria around the time when the Christian missionaries began to spread the "good word". By our standards, their customs would seem barbaric, but Christianity ultimately was the thing which destroyed their way of life. Read it, it's good.

The second book I read was published in 1979 and at the time was a huge bestseller. Virginia Andrews' 'Flowers in the Attic' is at the same time tender and horrifying and show the power that a mother's so called love can hold over her own flesh and blood. Also read it, it's harrowing, but very readable.

I am still trying to read 'et tu babe' Mark Leynar, but was waylaid by the other easier reads, I will plod on with Mark.

With all this sunshine and rain, my garden has run amok. I have not been able to cut the grass for several reasons, bad foot(sprained ankle), lazy sons, I couldn't be bothered and finally reading took precedence over everything.

Below is a photo of my long grass



The grass is so long now, that I fear I will have to go out with my machete and chop my way through the undergrowth to the back of my garden. There are two other reasons why I hate cutting my grass:

Frogs and Fox Poo!!

The frogs make a mess when the lawnmower goes over them (by accident) and the fox poo just stinks!!

This weekend I am going away with some friends from work. We are going to Bruges, where I am sure they will try many types of the Belgian beer on offer, I will try some as well, but I have found that as I get older my body just cannot cope with any amounts of alchohol - two glasses of wine and I'm anybody's.(True) It should be a laugh, there are about nine of us going, two girls (women) and seven boys (men), they are all perfectly behaved(really). The boyfriend is not too happy when I go away with my friends, but I don't care. He is the one with the hang-ups and insecurities.

We will be travelling to Bruges on Eurostar, which I have to say before I went on it I was petrified of going into the Channel Tunnel - once I made the first journey I realised I had been scared about nothing. It is definitely a comfortable way to travel and I would recommend it to anyone.

My son went to a wedding in Finland last year, which he thoroughly enjoyed. He found the people kind, generous and extremely friendly. He had gone to a work colleagues wedding (they paid for the hotel). The friend recently went back home and bought him back a very strange looking drink, that he is a bit reluctant to try. It looks like motor oil - very dirty motor oil.

Photo of weird drink



Has anyone out there in Blogdom ever tasted this drink and what the heck does it taste like???

Can't think of anything more I want to write, so I will bid you adieu mes amies.

Jo xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>