This is real life!!

Commentary on random thoughts and actions

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Dollis Hill, a great place to live!

I thought you might like to know a bit about the area, which I live in. It is not right in the centre of London, but it is still within 20 mins by car or tube to the West End.

I have two stations nearby Neasden and Dollis Hill, both are quite a bit of a walk, but on a lovely day, such as the ones we have had in the last couple of days it is either a nice stroll through the park or a walk down Dollis Hill Lane, towards the Neasden Roundabout.

Here is a picture of Dollis Hill Station(tube sign), complete with obligatory graffitti, I didn't take this one.




My local park is called Gladstone Park, it is quite a large area and has beautiful views over London. On a clear day you can see as far as the London Eye. The land and Dollis Hill House was originally owned by a wealthy family (can't remember their names).

William Gladstone(ex-Prime Minister) used to come and visit quite often. Mark Twain also came to visit in 1900.





Mark Twain by Gladstone Pond



Gladstone view(not a particularly brilliant picture)


A really interesting bit of history surrounds a large building sited right at the top of Dollis Hill. It used to be a Post Office Research Station - The code breaking computer(Colossus) of Bletchley Park (Enigma Code) fame, was built here during the Second World War. This was also where the first speaking clock was developed. The research station was closed in the 1970's - Cadburys Schweppes took the building over, also for research - they left in the late 80's. The building laid empty for over 10 years and in the late 90's was converted into private flats - a crying shame I think.

Here is a picture of the building(my house is in one of the little roads nearby)



To the east of my house lies Wembley of Wembley Stadium fame, home of football (that was), this is where England won their only World Cup Victory in 1966. Fingers crossed for this year.

The new Stadium is still being constructed (well overdue), but looks really impressive. I can see it from the bottom of my road.



The old stadium had a lot of character and it was really sad when they pulled the old Wembley twin towers down. I tried to get a decent photo, but for some reason all the decent sites were blocked.

I have lived in this area for 20 years and it is like a little oasis away from the hustle bustle of Cricklewood to my west and Neasden to the east. Near enough to hit the night life, should I so wish it and far enough for a bit of peace and quiet.

Have a jolly good night. Jo xx







5 Comments:

At 10:36 am, Blogger Truckmann said...

You got your easts and wests mixed up dear.

 
At 4:30 pm, Blogger ang said...

Hi Jo - loverly bit of 'istory there! I must admit. if I had to live in London I think it would be one of the areas I would look at - the park is glorious on a summer's day!
Hope JP had a good birthday, we mailed him, but nothing else - give him a kiss from us ok.
Love
Ang XXX

 
At 4:36 pm, Blogger jo said...

London Cabby, you are so right. Your know how women are with directions. Although if I am facing outwards from my front door, so that South is North, then West would be, East. (Women's logic for you).

 
At 5:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in Willesdon high road last night with my girlfreind and walked to Dollis Hill tube. Thought the area was a shithole. Dangerous. Filthy khazi. Spot the white man if you can. You can keep NW London.

 
At 5:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark Twain may have visited in 1900 but he'd need to be tranquilised to visit it now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>