This is real life!!

Commentary on random thoughts and actions

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The pleasures of the National Health Service

Today I have spent 5 hours using the NHS.

I am a great fan of the NHS although it does get a battering quite often from the British public. I have had my monies worth for my National Insurance Contributions and have always been well looked after wherever I have been.

Today I have been in Northwick Park Hospital, which has been in the news alot and not for good reasons. Most recently it has been in the news for Drugs trials gone wrong and around a year ago it was embroiled in a Maternity Scandal, wherein figures were published giving it as one of the worst places in Britain for women to give birth (high mortality rates).

Luckily for me, I only had to go for an XRay, as my ankle is still very painful and more/darker bruising seemed to be appearing. My GP(Doctor) thought I should get it checked out, just to make sure I didn't have a chipped bone - panic over everything is ok and I will apparently live to a ripe old age.

Northwick Park & St. Mark's Hospitals are like a small village and cover a huge area, which backs on to the world famous Harrow Boys School playing fields. At this point I was going to download a picture, but there seems to be something wrong with blogger's picture downloading thing - maybe I will try later.(did try later now working)



My car had decided to play-up and just wouldn't start this morning - I had to walk to the Doctor, which luckily is only 10 minutes walk away, but with my bad foot and today's warm weather by the time I got there I was sweating like a pig- a friend of mine always says 'Ladies don't sweat' - she is refering to one of of those little rhymes/sayings;


Horses Sweat
Gentlemen Perspire
Ladies Glow


But believe me folks, I was SWEATING!! Not only was I sweating, but my blood pressure had shot up and the doctor couldn't find my vein to take a blood sample - to top it all she said she couldn't find my vein, because I have such round arms(fat)!! I felt so beautiful at that very moment.
My kind sister-in-law (well ex sister-in-law actually) offered to take me for my XRay, which was nice (Fast Show fans will know what I mean). As it is her birthday on Friday I paid for lunch for us after we finished at the hospital. We went to Debenhams in Harrow and ate in their restaurant, which wasn't really that impressive. The meal was reasonably priced and plentiful, so I suppose that was something. We both had:
Buttered Roll (was going to link to Urbandictionary.com,but didn't think sounded like anything I would do with a piece of bread) CAUTION: not for under 18's!!!
With this food we had a pot of English tea (rosy lee) it all came to a grand total of £9.90 - not bad eh?
I thought your were on a diet (I'm sure I heard someone say) yes and I will be having fruit and Peppermint tea for this evening's repast.
Back to work again tomorrow.
Jo xx



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>