This is real life!!

Commentary on random thoughts and actions

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Books, life and 'The Game'

It is now half-time in the England versus Ecuador World Cup match and what a boring match it is turning out to be. I am not an expert, but my eldest son tells me that the lack of thrills comes from the 4, 5, 1 formation, which Sven Goran Ericsson has chosen for this game – what do I know – all I know is that England just seem to spend most of the time in the middle of the pitch, kicking the ball from one to another to another – boring, boring!!

I have finished reading ‘A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian’ and I must say I did really enjoy this book.




It was not as funny as some of the reviews said it was. It did have some funny moments, but the humour was at the expense of peoples habits, which although amusing at times, can also be quite sad, especially when it is poking fun at old people and their eccentricities. All of us do this at times, but when you read it in black and white it does make you feel uncomfortable



He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone”
(New Testament Gospel of John)
This book deals with issues surrounding why economic migrants come into this country ….

We interrupt this review to say ENGLAND HAS SCORED A GOAL!!! Well done Beckham about time you scored one of your specials.

Back to the book …

Immigrants/Economic migrants coming from all over Eastern Europe come here for all types of reasons, to escape oppressive regimes, to escape victimisation , to escape a poor standard of living, to suck this country’s social services dry and to abuse a very lax legal system. The last two things should not be applied to those immigrants who come here to work, but unfortunately there are always those who abuse the system.

One of the main characters in the book ‘Valentina’ the big busty blonde, is a confusing character, I felt dislike, admiration and pity for her, but really she is a victim of global change. Read the book I think you will enjoy it.

My Dad (bless him) reads ‘The Times’ newspaper and everyweek he saves some of the supplements for me namely ‘The Knowledge’ and ‘Books’. I enjoy reading these every week as they keep me up-to-date on all new publications. In this week’s issue of books I noticed a new publication by, Will Self (Grumpy old man), it’s called ‘The Book of Dave’ and deals with a London Cabby and his life and loves. He writes his 'Cabbies Credo' on some metal tablets and buries them in his love rival’s garden. They are discovered 500 years later and become the basis for a new religion!! It sounds really interesting and I am sure all the London Cabbies out there, might find it fascinating reading – maybe even my brother London Cabby might have a little go.

Anyhow, I am going to get hold of a copy and will let you know what I think.




I did mention the other day that I really enjoyed reading Robert Heinlein and Anne McCaffrey books. These two below were particulary enjoyable you should give them a go, if you have time.





ENGLAND ARE NOW THROUGH TO THE QUARTER FINALS - BECKHAM IS A LEGEND!!

Well happy reading folks.

Jo xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>