This is real life!!

Commentary on random thoughts and actions

Sunday, October 01, 2006

A LIFE OF PEACE



I haven’t been reading any books lately, although I have been reading articles in the press and in other blogs, relating to religious fanaticism and demonstrations of peoples devotion to their religion. One blog in particular(Joee's Blog) made me want to write a little about what I believe in – when I read all the comments, I was quite upset that some of the people who professed to being Christian, felt such hatred and used such violent language, when the very thing they were angry about was violence!!

I am a lapsed Catholic – I don’t say that I am against the Catholic Church, but I do believe that there are many elements in every religion’s doctrines that actually contradict their own fundamental teaching.

DON’T TELL ME WHAT TO DO

DON’T TELL ME WHAT TO SAY

DON’T TELL ME WHAT TO WEAR

DON’T TELL ME WHAT I CAN AND CANNOT LISTEN TO

DON’T TELL ME WHAT I CAN LOOK AT

DON’T TELL ME WHAT I CAN BELIEVE IN


Don’t do any of these things – I won’t do them to you – and then and only then can we all live in Peace.

Religion in all its forms does all of the above, so perhaps it is the cause of all the wars - or perhaps it’s because the human element is involved?? When humans are involved in anything, somewhere along the line it is corrupted – this is not to say that all humans are corrupt, but somehow an honourable reason for doing something quite often turns into something not so honourable.

What gives any of us the right to believe that our beliefs are more important or more right than anyone else’s beliefs? Our pride in what we believe in makes us feel that our religion is ‘the one and only’ and when people don’t agree, it angers us. We go to church every Sunday and we want the priest/pastor/vicar/preacher to make sure they see us – to see that we are good (in this case) Christians, but why are we doing it – we want to get to heaven – if a heaven does exist? We are greedy for attention, we are lazy and think the only thing we need to do is to look like we are praying once a week. We are jealous of any extra attention the clerics might give to anyone and think that we deserve it more and constantly lust after attention to the point of gluttony.

I abhor violence in any shape and those that terrorise in the name of religion are no better than any ordinary criminal – they are not doing it for their God they are doing it for themselves.

On a much lighter note, my eldest son says we should have an organisation like the 'Justice League' to police the world - oh if it were that easy!!

Peace and love to you all. Jo xx

1 Comments:

At 7:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many of my best friends are lapsed Catholics!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>