This is real life!!

Commentary on random thoughts and actions

Friday, September 01, 2006

THE GOOD LIFE

These last few days, before I go back to work have been quite pleasant, for many reasons.

I am finally getting used to reading with my new glasses and amazed at the difference it makes to me – no more squinting and guessing at what the words might be saying.




My boyfriend (bless him) bought me a lovely watch by ‘Fossil’ its sweet and pink and girly with little charms hanging from it – my kind of watch. I asked him what I had done to deserve such a nice present – was it because I was a bitch to him or was it because of the suspenders, stockings and thigh length boots I had worn the previous evening?



The correct answer to this question is ‘Neither, it’s because I love you’. (Cute!!)

I finally managed to get to Woburn Abbey – a long promised visit for my Dad, who now doesn’t want to travel abroad since last year’s health scare. With my Dad and I, came my youngest son, my sister (Palmers Green) and her daughter and son – six of us in all.

It is a beautiful Estate, which has been open to the public since 1955, when the 13th Duke of Bedford came to live there after his father the 12th Duke had died. It had fallen into a terrible state, but with hard work and with much love it became the beautiful place it is today.
I have never seen so many types of Deer, just walking around without a care in the world; both the grounds and the Abbey/House itself are full of interesting sights. Including paintings from such artists as Canaletto, Van Dyke, Gainsborough, and Reynolds. Wonderful rooms full of porcelain, glassware, silverware and gold of all shapes, sizes and designs. I could go on, but if you ever get a chance you should see this all for yourself.




After the visit to Woburn, we went for lunch to a pub in Woburn Sands, called ‘The Swan’, where we had a marvellous lunch. I had:

Portobello Mushrooms, stuffed with Brie and Pancetta
Belly of Pork in a bbq applesauce, with rosemary sautéed new potatoes and fresh vegetables.

The portions were huge so I couldn’t manage a dessert and I even had to give some of my meal to my son (SHOCK HORROR)!!

Today I have been out to buy my son a birthday present; he will be 19 on Sunday. It is not going to be a surprise as he was with me at the time and he had to try it on for size. It is the new ‘Tottenham Hotspurs’ top, with his name and a number printed on the back. Needless to say he is ecstatic with his present and is wearing it as I speak/write!! To finish off our outing, we went to ‘Chiquitos’ for lunch, where we ate – AGAIN!!

Fiesta Nachos
Philly Steak Sandwich, with fries and salad


ALERT ALERT, ALIEN ALERT!!

I was going to go out later to run some errands, but the threat of the Alien trying to free itself from my stomach kept me at home – I need to digest – I will be a good girl tomorrow. Ha Ha!!

Whilst I was out shopping in Brent Cross today, I went into W.H.Smith to buy some Academic Year Diaries for both the libraries and decided that I would buy a copy of ‘The Dangerous Book for Boys’ by Conn and Hal Iggulden – this is a great book, with loads of information and ideas on things that boys and even girls would like to do/make/see/discover. It covers such varied subjects as compass reading, crystal making, life saving, go-cart making, star gazing and so on. It is laid out in an old fashioned way, which obviously appeal to the boy in the man, but it will also I think attract the younger boys possibly because it has ‘Dangerous and Boys’ in the title.



Normal retail price for this book is £18.99, which is quite a hefty price. However, I got two copies – one for £13.99 and the second one for half-price £7.00!! I do love a bargain. My boys are already looking at it and deciding if they should try to make a go-cart or something else. By the way, Conn Iggulden, was my son’s English Teacher a couple of years ago and he was a very good teacher – it was a sad day when he left the school for fame and fortune – Good Luck to him!!

All this good living has made me feel like I don’t want to go back to school on Tuesday, but I suppose I have to earn a living somehow, before the seven deadly sins take a hold of my life.

Vade retro Satana (Get behind me Satan) from Conn & Hal Iggulden’s book.

Jo xx






1 Comments:

At 2:03 pm, Blogger ang said...

As usual I haven't sent your son a card, so please tell him his auntie, uncle and cousins send him big hugs for his 19th!
By the way I like the caps at the beginning of each paragraph, looks so professional.
Big kisses Ang xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>