This is real life!!

Commentary on random thoughts and actions

Sunday, December 31, 2006

A New Year, Food and more Food

New Year’s Eve is upon us once again and my hasn’t this year just rushed by!

Why is it that when you come to the end of the year, you always start to analyse everything you have done/not done/wanted to do/wished you had the nerve to do/regretted having done .. and so on. I just want to say for the record ‘ Je ne regrette rien!’ or ‘I don’t regret anything’ as Edith Piaf (famous French songstress) used to sing. Not that I have achieved anything earth shattering this year, but I am comfortable with my life and myself and am looking forward to a happy and productive New Year.

Changing the subject quite a bit, I thought that I should mention the amount/variety of food I have eaten this Christmas season – well it has become a little ritual of mine to mention food, now and again, in this blog and being a creature of habit I thought it best to continue on in the best tradition.

Work Christmas outing to Van Antoni’s, Meze Bar in Bushey (20th December)

Starter
Grilled Haloumi Cheese with Water Melon Balls

Main Course
Lamb Moussaka served with herby roast new potatoes


Dessert
Zesty Lemon Torte

All with plenty of Red Wine and then dancing (I love a good dance)

Christmas Lunch at School (22nd December)

Starter
Mixed Indian and Chinese snacks, Crudités and Dips
Glass of Mulled Wine

Main Course
Roast Turkey with Stuffing, Chipolatas and Bacon
Roast Potatoes (not as nice as mine)
Brussels sprouts (hard like bullets)
Carrots (yuck)
Peas
Green beans
Gravy
Cranberry Sauce

Dessert
Christmas Pudding
Mince Pies
(burnt on the bottom)
Cream
Custard


Coffee

Christmas Eve (24th December)

At home with my two boys, it has been a long standing tradition in our family to have Lamb Chops and Chips (with lashings of garlic) on this day and not one to break with tradition I cooked a large platter of the above for me and the boys – delicious, finger licking (better than KFC) good!!

Christmas Day (25th December)

The morning started off with just myself and the boys - opening our presents - a cup of coffee and Pork and Apple Sausages from Tesco – we love these sausages.

Later on the ‘boyfriend’ came around to open/give his presents. For the first time in over 25years I would not be cooking a Christmas meal – today it was a slap up meal in ‘Oslo Court’ – no getting flustered and hot over a hot oven, no washing up, no back aching over a turkey as big as a child, just calm, relaxing and joyful eating in warm, comfortable surroundings.

Oslo Court – Christmas Day

Melba Toast and Crudités on the table when you arrive
Hot Garlic Bread Rolls
Dry Martini and Lemonade (aperitif)


Starter
Smoked Salmon and Brown Bread (a huge plate full of succulent salmon)

Soup
Consommé
(a delightful refreshing bowl of soup)

Main Course
Rack of Lamb (tender lamb on the bone – (I’m dribbling just thinking about it!)
Roast baby potatoes
Brussels Sprouts
Green beans
Broccoli
Mint Sauce/Redcurrant Jelly

Dessert
The sweet waiter Neil (very camp) loves his desserts trolley and he almost has an orgasm describing his wonderful desserts. I asked for a homemade Crème brulee, which was wonderful and creamy with a lovely crunchy caramel top. He also insisted on bringing me a Strawberry Tart, which was full of beautiful strawberries on a rich short crust pastry base – divine!

Coffee and Petites Fours - loads of sweetie things, Turkish delight, chocolate mints, sugared almonds etc).

They then tried to bring out some Mince Pies, but we really had to say no.

Boxing Day – the whole family at my Parents’ House (26th December)

This was a buffet affair, with contributions from the whole family – we all have our specialities, but I will just list the food on offer.

Paella
Potato Omelette
Roast Pork
Roast Beef
Seafood Salad
Fresh Salad
Garlic Bread
Assorted Savoury Hot Snacks i.e. Sausage Rolls, Crispy Duck pancakes, Sesame Prawn Toast, Samosas, Feta and Cranberry parcels.
Dips and chips – assorted flavours
Smoked Salmon on brown bread
Fresh home made Trifle
Assorted sweets and cakes
Plenty of Bucks Fizz, Wine and assorted alcoholic and non- alcoholic beverages

Amazingly with all the food I have eaten, I don’t seem to have piled on the weight I normally put on over the holiday period, but it’s not over yet and the ex in-laws are coming over for dinner on New Year’s Day – Goose is on the menu, together with many other things, will keep you posted.

Happy eating.

Jo xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>