This is real life!!

Commentary on random thoughts and actions

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE

Well it certainly has been an eventful week.

You may or may not know that I have spent the last five days in the Big Apple – New York City.
Good and bad things to report.

BAD THINGS

Paper Plates and Plastic Cutlery

What’s that all about?? Nearly everywhere we were served food on disposable stuff. I had a terrible time trying to eat my Pancakes, Maple Syrup, Bacon and Eggs (over easy). Crispy bacon is not easily cut with a plastic knife and fork!!

Service with a smile

The service here has deteriorated since the last time I visited in 2000.
Shop assistants and waiters have a nasty habit of asking you how you are, or telling you to ‘Have a nice day’, when really all they want you to do is buy something and go away. I thought British people were surly but after being in NY for a few days I was hard pressed to find someone who was genuinely nice.

Pushy Waiters

We did go to what we thought was going to be a really nice Italian Restaurant in the Lower East side called ‘Supper’. When we got there we had to wait for 45 minutes for a table in a very cramped small bar beside the restaurant – when eventually we were seated the waiter swiftly served us – pleasantly at first – then more briskly as the meal progressed – to the point that he didn’t offer us a dessert!! The plates appeared and disappeared at a rate of knots and the final straw was when the bill appeared without us even having asked for it and whilst we were still eating. I will not be recommending this place to anyone.

GOOD THINGS

The Buildings

New York has many beautiful Art Deco buildings, with wonderful lobbies and panoramic views of the city.

We went to the top of the Rockerfeller building ‘The Top of The Rock’ where on the 69th floor we had a most wonderful view of the sunset and watched in awe as New York City began twinkling before our very eyes. A lot less queuing than the Empire State and less people made this a very enjoyable experience.

We saw the impressive Grand Central Station and the gorgeous Chrysler Building – my personal favourite.

The Food


Pancakes with Maple Syrup



Bacon and Eggs (over easy)

Pecan Cheesecake



Cup Cakes from the Magnolia Bakery in Greenwich Village

Yams with Walnuts

Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches

Pumpkin Pie


I am going to stop now as I have begun to drool.

Strange Happenings

A well dressed man in a good suit wearing lipstick!!

2 Russian Prostitutes in a diner, arranging a date to meet a client (price and everything) with their pimp on the phone, whilst the client stood by patiently waiting.

Being told to keep quiet in a Jazz Bar by the musicians – the guitarist sounded like he was having an orgasm listening to his own playing – the music was crap!!

Loads of weird and wonderful costumes for the Halloween weekend. Angels with huge feathered wings, Rabbits, Witches, Puppets – complete with strings and thousands of pumpkins.



Since I have returned I have been suffering quite badly with Jet Lag, also I have an infection in the root of one of my teeth and my face is swollen and sore – I am taking antibiotics and Ibuprofen for the pain. None of this can take away the fact that I had a most wonderful holiday – but I am glad to be back in dear old Blighty!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>