This is real life!!

Commentary on random thoughts and actions

Sunday, December 03, 2006

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME


Sometimes the best time is had, when you least expect it – a spur of the moment decision, can turn out to be one of the most memorable.

Tonight was such a night. It started with a desire to see one of my sisters, whom I had not seen for a couple of months – we thought it was about time to get together and have a good old chin wag – like you do.

It went something like this:

ME: We should really get together, before Christmas, let’s get the kids together too – maybe round at my house?

SISTER: Why don’t we ask LC too and his kids – he always feels like we leave him out of these things, but they are so spur of the moment?

ME: That’s a good idea – well let’s decide which day – Oh I can’t do that day, I am going somewhere with my friends – and you can’t do that day because you have a work function to go to.

SISTER: What about going to Mum and Dad’s next Sunday for tea, we could meet up there?

ME: Oh, that’s my Birthday – I’ll bring a cake.

Next day I ask my Mum if it’s ok for us to come around for tea next week – my Dad is more than enthusiastic, he loves having his children and grandchildren around him. Mum says – well, I’ll tell you what, I will make a paella and you can all have supper here. Dad pipes up – what about that lovely prawn & seafood cocktail you make, I’d love some of that?’ Ok, well I had better ask LC if he will make a big potato omelette – the kids love it!!

Before you know it the tea that was, has turned into a fully fledged party – complete with crisps, drinks, cakes and birthday candles – I haven’t blown out candles on a cake for years and my Sister (Palmers Green) did us proud, with not one cake but two marvellous concoctions, sorry no photo – I didn’t take my camera.

I do feel a bit like the Queen, with her official and unofficial birthdays. On Friday at work I had a procession of students wishing me a ‘Happy Birthday’. I even had one student, who baked and iced a cake for me complete with my name on it – I felt very loved. My work colleagues also spoilt me rotten and bought me some lovely gifts, see photo below.

I still have some birthday treats to come – my friends Steve and Jill are taking me out on Thursday to the Cinema and for a meal.

My sons are taking me out for a meal on Tuesday evening, to a steak and rib place in the West End, somewhere around Soho. I will also be doing my yearly walk through Oxford Street and Regent Street, to look at the shop windows and the Christmas Lights.

I have left the best for last – my Boyfriend, wonderful man that he is, absolutely spoiled me rotten on Saturday. We started off with Breakfast in bed, a nice leisurely bath and then lunch at what is now my all time favourite restaurant Oslo Court.

I had:

Coquilles san Jacques
Which is a scallop shell, stuffed with scallops and prawns in a creamy sauce, topped with creamed potato – divine.


Grilled Veal chop with Lemon and Rosemary
The biggest veal chop I have ever seen - beautifully cooked and served with:
Battered Zucchini (courgettes)
Green Beans
Sautéed potatoes
Petites pois
Rosti


Dessert was the creamiest Cheesecake I have ever tasted, topped with fresh raspberries.

Coffee and petites fours (a selection of chocolate covered almonds, Turkish delight, marzipan sweets, chocolate hearts and after dinner mints.

Plus three dry Martinis and Lemonade!

After the meal, we went to Oxford Street where, super boyfriend, bought me two beautiful tops to where over the Christmas season.

We then took a bus to Victoria Station, where we went to see the new show ‘Wicked’, which was totally unexpected and a wonderful surprise. The show was fabulously entertaining, with a magical set, a great cast and wonderful songs.

We got back home around 11pm, whereupon I zonked out on the bed until the next morning.

I am the luckiest girl/woman in the world!!

3 Comments:

At 6:07 am, Blogger Paradise Driver said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Now I know how old you are, you're in the "girl/woman" age range. [wink]

 
At 7:44 am, Blogger jo said...

Thanks Wil

Your comment raised a little chuckle in me this morning.

Thank you for the birthday wishes.

xx

 
At 9:04 pm, Blogger ang said...

Hey sis! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful birthday - I really would have loved to be there! It's so nice to be on the receiving end sometimes - makes you feel that you've acheived something when people have the urge to make you feel good.
Happy birthday again - and yes, I will get over soon, don't know when, but it will be soon
Luv ang xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>