This is real life!!

Commentary on random thoughts and actions

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

T'IS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY


Another great night was had by all!!

My sons took me out last night, this was for our yearly pilgrimage to the West End to see the sights and sounds of London and also to celebrate my birthday, which was on Sunday – at this time of the year, I like to see the Christmas lights and look at the shop windows, but definitely no shopping – we usually go after the shops are closed and there are less people around.

My younger son and I met my elder son straight from work – he works in the West End and we agreed to meet him at around 6.30pm by the Ritz Hotel in Piccadilly. He then took us to a nearby pub, where he introduced us to some of his work colleagues. It’s so nice to put faces to names and to have proof that your son is popular and well liked (every Mum likes to know this)!!

What can I say about the three guys we met: The first was Head of security, where my son works – mid-thirties, bald, looks like a club bouncer and talked just like my boyfriend – full of it (bull-shit) is all I can say. He was a really nice friendly guy and I am sure if I got to know him better, he would probably tone down the B.S.; The second guy was a quite camp gay guy, he was really lovely, very well spoken and definitely has a soft spot for my son. He couldn’t really get a word in edgeways, because Big Bouncer Guy kept on talking over him. He won me over though when he started spelling out swear words, because he didn’t want to “offend Mum” ha, ha! I didn’t really speak much to the third guy as he was not that talkative, but both of my boys said he sounded a lot like their Dad and their Uncle Paul, I didn’t get this because Big Bouncer Guy, kept right on talking!!



We left the guys and the pub around 7.45pm and strolled down along Regent Street on to Carnaby Street, where we stopped at another pub, I think it was called ‘Shakespeare’s Head’?? We had another drink and chatted about stuff – I’m sure I was grinning like a Cheshire cat at this point, as I was so proud being out with my two boys looking after me. After the drink we carried on walking to Poland Street, where the Restaurant ‘Bodeans’ and where we would be having our meal. The restaurant was very busy and we waited at the bar for around 15 mins until our table was ready.

As usual I ate far too much:

Starter

Fire/Chilli Char grilled Prawns/shrimp
(Absolutely delicious, very spicy hot though)

Main Course

10 oz Rib-eye steak, served with Fries, Onion Rings, Coleslaw, Salad, Chipotle Butter, Peppercorn Sauce and a Side of Prawns (I told you they were lovely).

Dessert

No dessert, I couldn’t eat another mouthful, but I could have ordered a Mississippi Mud Pie, Key Lime Pie, Fudge Brownies, Apple cobbler or Sweet Potato Bread puddingBUT I WAS TRYING TO BE A REALLY GOOD GIRL!!

My boys and I are people watchers and we immediately pick up on little quirky things around us, which other people might not find amusing, but we seem to find hilarious. For example: Guy sits down to eat – meal arrives – he flips his tie over his shoulder – result: unrestrained laughter, tears rolling down the cheeks and countless little quips about how if a lady suddenly appeared, would he quickly un-flip his tie and leap to attention – no – well you had to be there I suppose.

After the meal it was about 10.45pm, we walked back towards Bond Street station, taking in the lights along the way, New Bond Street, South Moulton Street and various other lights on shop fronts. One particularly impressive shop front was Debenhams on Oxford Street, which had gone all out with a really impressive red light display, which was very old fashioned, but I really like old-fashioned stuff coz I’m an old-fashioned kind of girl.


By the time we got home it was about 11.30pm, very nearly time for me to turn into a pumpkin, well at any rate, turn in – so off to bed I went.

A big thank you to my wonderful boys for being so lovely to their old Mum.

3 Comments:

At 1:23 pm, Blogger Paradise Driver said...

Carnaby Street, isn't that where all the really funky clothes came from during the late '60's?

 
At 10:03 pm, Blogger jo said...

Yes Wil,

You are absolutely correct although these days it's just another shopping street. There are still a few 'funky' shops, but with matching funky prices - expensive!!

 
At 2:44 pm, Blogger ang said...

I wish my kids would take me out on a wonderful treat like that - suppose I'll have to wait a few years yet till they start getting along a bit more!

Sounds like you had a wonderful time, I'm glad you really deserve it!
Lots and lots of luv
Ang xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>