This is real life!!

Commentary on random thoughts and actions

Monday, July 24, 2006

A Life of Food

What did I say about low cholesterol diet? Well that’s kind of gone out of the window for the time being. I have been eating rubbish since Friday, which was the Staff bbq on the last day of school. Food on offer at the bbq included:

Barbecued Lamb Steaks
Barbecued Chicken Tikka
Vegetable Curry
Ratatouille
Pasta Salad
Potato Salad
Tomato, Onion and Mozzarella Salad
French Bread


I tried a little (honestly) of everything, but still ended up feeling bloated, so much so, that a rush to the lavatory was necessary – no, imperative!! TMI! (Too much information)

The following day wasn’t too bad and as only my younger son and myself was at home I decided to cook something a little healthier. We ate:

Stir fried breast of chicken, marinated in olive oil, garlic, soy sauce and honey, and stir-fried with onions, mushrooms and sugar snap peas and served on a bed of boiled white rice – quite healthy – don’t you think?

Sunday started off ok, but we had a family Christening (again!) and after the church service, we all went to the Elgin pub in Elgin Avenue, W9. This used to be one of those old fashioned British pubs full of unsavoury characters. The unsavoury characters can still be found – sitting on the wall opposite the pub, drinking cans of Special Brew – the pub itself is now a type of Gastro pub – catering for families and serving bar snacks all day.

We had:

Huge bowls of Beef Nachos, covered in cheese, salsa, guacamole, sour cream and chillies.










Deep fried Haloumi cheese served with a redcurrant sauce

Houmous and pitta bread

Steak Sandwiches with Horseradish sauce and Chips

Extra bowls of Chips


I am seriously worried about my bodily functions as about an hour after I had eaten, I felt that sudden urge that makes me feel like my womb is falling out – not a pretty picture!!

Today my two sister and I were invited to lunch, by my mum, she made:

Two types of Arroz al horno (rice cooked in the oven)

The first one has morcillas- a type of black Spanish sausage, normal English chipolatas, bacon, slices of potato, chickpeas, slices of tomato and cloves of garlic cooked in the oven with saffron rice.





The second only has chickpeas, potatoes, sultanas and cloves of garlic – with the rice.

Both of them are delicious and are a family favourite.

My sister bought dessert, which was a hot pear and chocolate tart, served with thick double cream.

SCRUMPTIOUS!

About an hour after eating, I suddenly felt the urge to leave, no guesses as to my destination. I am a bit like homing pidgeon, when it comes to my personal habits – there’s no place like home.

I have decided that I will be taking my Dad out for a trip to Woburn Abbey, it’s straight up the M1, which is just up the road from me.





I have never been there before so I am quite looking forward to the trip, but it will have to be after my Dad has had his little op., not quite sure whether it’s for his hernia or for his cataracts, but at least he has something to look forward to.

No photos today, my computer is not playing - I might add them on later.

Success, I added the above photos at 12.35 pm on 26th July.

Happy eating

Jo xx

4 Comments:

At 4:31 pm, Blogger jo said...

Yes, Mum's cooking is great,but too lovely - it's really hard to stop eating it once you have started.

All well and happy here.

A huge lottery win wouldn't go amiss though - well it's good to have dreams!!

xx

 
At 5:37 am, Blogger Truckmann said...

How come I wern't invited for the arroz al horno???

 
At 8:14 am, Blogger jo said...

Mum said she will do one for the boys another day - it wasn't planned it just happened.

You know Mum loves you LC!!

xx

 
At 2:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to remember to read your blog AFTER I've eaten....You're killing me now I'm starving saliva is dripping down my chin and its 4.30am with the nearest place to get something to eat a 20 min drive away!!!!!!!!!
Love reading it anyway.
Lotsa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>