This is real life!!

Commentary on random thoughts and actions

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Asi es la vida!! That's Life!!

Only two more days to go and I will be finishing work for the Summer – Yippee!!





In Alice Cooper’s immortal words “School’s out for Summer”.

Since I am a bit boracic (skint) at the moment and I have a holiday planned to New York in October, I have to find some way of getting some money, dosh, spondulix together.

There are several options:

1. My mother’s beloved car boot sales

2. Ebay selling

3. Selling my ageing and sagging body (not really an option)!!


I do have quite a few good things to sell on ebay:

1. Star Wars Vintage figures – I have around 60

2. A stack of comics – collectible I am told

3. Some antique items, including a Victorian Solid Silver Chatelaine (housewife’s belt)

4. Approximately 1000 Science fiction/fantasy paperbacks

That should be a good start or hopefully a good end if I sell everything for the price I want. All this should pay for:

The Radio City apartment, which has already been booked, but not paid for.


1. Some of my Credit Card debt.

2. Some of my debt to my mother.

3. Some of my debt to my son

4. Some spending money for New York

5. A booze cruise (day trip to Boulogne,France) in September



I am eternally optimistic and will turn my hand to anything to earn a bit of cash, so this summer should be quite busy.

I have finished reading ‘Beloved’ by Toni Morrison – a beautifully written book, strange to our modern eyes, but ordinary to the people that lived those lives. It’s not an easy read as it is quite poetic in parts and needs to be read over in parts to make sure you have read correctly. I can understand why it received the 1993 Nobel Prize for Literature.

I have just picked up ‘Bend sinister’ by Vladimir Nabokov, don’t ask me what it’s about yet, coz I don’t know!! It was written in 1945/46 and was his first novel written in America – Russia being his homeland. His most well known work and possibly his most controversial is ‘Lolita’ which I am sure most of you well read people have heard of???




I have picked up a pile of books from my school library to try and read over the Summer holidays – will keep you posted on my progress.

Since my Dad was critically ill last year in Spain, he has decided that he never wants to leaved England’s shores again!! He would, however, enjoy trips out to Stately homes, Castles and other places of Historic, Botanic and any other ics you can think of. To this end he has already been taken out to Warwick Castle, by my sister Anna and her Husband Tim and to Waddesdon Manor by my brother Joseph and his wife Cathy.








I think I might take him to the newly re-furbished Kew Palace in the grounds of Kew Gardens or possibly Canterbury – don’t really know yet.

Well I have gabbed on enough, I’m off to make our evening meal of grilled steak and salad and a baked potato with lashings of butter for my youngest (chubby) son.





35 degrees today here in London, the roads are melting, there is still a hosepipe ban, my Mum & Dad haven’t had a water supply for the past 24 hours as there is a burst water main in their road. This is civilisation!!

All hail to progress??

Jo xx

2 Comments:

At 11:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jo

I just came accoss your blog. I am all the way across the world in Australia. I just loved the pictures of your mum's paella. Is there any chance that I can have the recipe. my email is
bauman@grapevine.com.au - I dont have a webpage,

thanks

phoenix

 
At 4:35 pm, Blogger jo said...

It's quite complicated, but will try to get it down on paper for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>